Skip Navigation

Flooding - Weymouth and Portland Borough Council

Flood protection information for residents in Weymouth and Portland Borough Council area.

There is no statutory requirement for a local authority to provide sandbags (pdf, 277kb) (opens in a new window). Residents or business owners are responsible for protecting their own property from floodwater.

The borough council encourages residents to make plans to protect their property in advance of flooding such as buying and storing sandbags or equivalent products, particularly if their property is in a susceptible area. For advice on clearing up sandbags see our general advice​ 

We will endeavour to help residents in emergency severe weather situations, such as if a residential property is at imminent risk of internal flooding, whereby collection of sandbags may be possible from a community sandbag store or tactical drop off location, but it is the property owner's responsibility to protect themselves in the first instance.

No deliveries of sandbags will be made to individual properties unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

To notify the council of a flood risk incident which is likely to cause internal property flooding or to enquire about your local community store, please call 01305 838000.

Land drainage

Generally if the watercourse runs through or adjacent to your property/land you are a riparian owner. Riparian owners are responsible for the maintenance of the watercourse. If you wish to do any work in, above or near a watercourse you are likely to need consent from either the Environment Agency or Dorset County Council depending on the status of the watercourse.

The Environment Agency produces a helpful Living on the Edge leaflet (pdf, 143kb) (opens in a new window) explaining the rights and responsibilities of living next to a watercourse. Please note it is an offence to fill in or obstruct any form of watercourse.

For 'ordinary watercourses' within the district, Dorset County Council has powers to enforce the Land Drainage Act. For 'main rivers' the Environment Agency has the equivalent powers.

Advice for flood response during severe flood warnings

Planning for floods

  • use the generic Family Flood Plan to form the basis of a plan for your property
  • the area your property is in would be subject to fast flowing water in a flood event
  • there is also the possibility of wind blown spray and pebbles being thrown at the seaward side of your property. In a serious flood event cars and debris could be caused to float
  • if you don't have them already you should consider installing a frame for flood boards on any exterior doors. If you have existing slots please make sure you have the boards that fit them in an easily accessible place and a supply of waterproof sheeting and silicon sealant or expanding foam ready to use. If you have air bricks or other openings on the seaward side of the house you can protect these by keeping some suitably sized pieces of wood, ready to fix over the holes with silicon sealant in advance of a flood
  • it is also a good idea to think about installing removable shutters to your seaward facing window to prevent them from being broken by wind blown pebbles
  • information on suppliers or DIY flood boards can be found in the Environment Agency Guide. "Preparing for a Flood"
  • always keep any drainage channels running underneath your property clear

During a flood

  • you need to act quickly when a warning is issued as flooding could occur very rapidly
  • when you receive your warning phone call you should put your flood boards in place and close your shutters
  • plan also to move your car and any large, loose objects away from the flood risk area at an early stage. Consider encouraging neighbours to do the same
  • remember to also carry out the other actions you have prepared in your plan

Siren warnings for Chiswell residents

When the siren sounds

The siren indicates that flooding will be severe with extreme risk to people and property. You should take yourself, family and pets to a room upstairs away from the seaward side of the building. Take your flood kit with you and stay there until you are told that it is safe to come downstairs. This could be a few hours later.

Report and track road issues and enquiries

Stay connected - sign up to our free e-newsletter

Powered by GOSS iCM