Skip Navigation

How can I get the definitive map changed?

Information about how the definitive map of rights of way can be changed

The definitive map of public rights of way can only be changed by legal order. There are two ways to make changes to the definitive map.

1) Definitive Map Modification Orders

If a path:

  • is missing
  • is shown with the wrong status (e.g. a path is shown as a footpath but it should be a bridleway)
  • is shown along the wrong route
  • should not be shown on the definitive map

You can apply for a definitive map modification order (DMMO) to correct it.

Check our  Register of DMMO applications (opens in a new window) to see if there is already a claim there.
There is no charge for a DMMO application as it is in the public interest that the definitive map and statement are correct and up to date.

See Applications for definitive map and statement modification orders for more information about definitive map modification orders.

2) Public Path Orders

If a public right of way is correctly recorded on the definitive map but there is a reason to move or delete the path you can apply for a public path order. Public rights of way can be diverted or extinguished in the interest of the public or the landowner. New paths can also be created by public path order, usually by agreement with the landowner.

See Public Path Orders - diverting or removing a path for more information about public path orders.


Please note that Dorset County Council is not responsible for public rights of way in Bournemouth or Poole. Please contact the relevant Borough council for any applications in these areas.

Powered by GOSS iCM