Skip Navigation

Child protection and how to report a concern

What you can do if you think a child or young person is being abused or neglected and how you can report any concerns that you have.

To report concerns about a child who does not already have a social worker, please contact our single point of contact.

Report a concern

If you believe a social worker is already involved with the child or young person, contact the worker through the social work team for their area:

If you're concerned that a child or young person is at immediate risk of significant harm, and you believe it requires urgent action, call the Police on 999.

Signs of child abuse 

Child abuse can be:

  • physical abuse
  • emotional abuse
  • sexual abuse
  • neglect

A child may be experiencing abuse if he or she:

  • is often dirty, hungry or poorly dressed 
  • is often in unsafe situations
  • is constantly insulted, sworn at or humiliated
  • seems afraid of their parents or carers
  • has bruises or injuries from their parent or carer 
  • displays sexual behaviour which is inappropriate for their age
  • is growing up in a home where there is ongoing domestic violence
  • is living with parents or carers involved in serious drug or alcohol abuse

Dorset Safeguarding Children Board (DSCB)

The DSCB brings together information for:

  • children
  • young people
  • their families 
  • anyone who works with children and families

Visit the  Dorset Safeguarding Children Board's (DSCB) website (opens in a new window) for further advice and support if you have concerns about a child.

Powered by GOSS iCM
Dorset Feedback icon