Preston Road improvement scheme
Work has been carried out to improve Preston Road following the opening of the Weymouth Relief Road.
These improvements are designed to improve pedestrian and cycling facilities and reduce traffic speeds by some road narrowing.
Work on the last remaining improvement scheme - at Chalbury Corner - will start on Monday 6 February.
We have designed the scheme (pdf, 307kb) (opens in a new window) to keep the existing levels of parking while improving pedestrian and cycling facilities for local residents and visitors, as well as reducing traffic speeds along this stretch of road.
It will take around 20 weeks for us to complete the work, during which:
- the carriageway will be narrowed, which will effect on-street parking at times
- there will be occasions when sections of pavement are closed, but temporary footways will be provided where possible
- a temporary controlled pedestrian crossing will be provided while the existing crossing is upgraded to a toucan
- there will be times where stop/go traffic control is used, but we will keep this to a minimum
- there will be times where lane restrictions at Chalbury Roundabout are needed for a safe working area, but this should not significantly disrupt traffic flow
Access to some driveways will be affected when we come to completing kerbing and surfacing work - our construction team will liaise directly with residents affected.
Cycle link to Oakbury Drive
This work (pdf, 268kb) (opens in a new window) has completed the cycle link between Preston Road and Oakbury Drive.
Installation of a mini roundabout (pdf, 209kb) (opens in a new window) and crossing point and cycleway improvements were undertaken in 2013.
Overcombe Car Park to Elm Close play area
Improvement works were completed in June 2013 on the path linking Overcombe Car Park with the Elm Close play area, providing an all-weather pushchair and bike friendly surface (pdf, 252kb) (opens in a new window).
Preston Road pedestrian islands
The islands (pdf, 521kb) (opens in a new window) provide additional safe crossing points for pedestrians as well as traffic calming through some carriageway narrowing.
All schemes are funded through the Weymouth Relief Road, as improvements to Preston Road were included in the relief road business case.