The Rodwell Trail
The Rodwell Trail is very popular with pedestrians, cyclists and dog walkers taking in 3.5k along Weymouth's old railway line and Sandsfoot Castle.
The Rodwell Trail is a shared use walking and cycling path (pdf, 4Mb) (opens in a new window) which now forms part of National Cycle Network Route 26 (Portland to Portishead).
It provides a pleasant, traffic free 3.5km walk or bicycle ride from Westham Bridge in the heart of Weymouth's town centre to Ferry Bridge. From there you can continue 0.8km along the traffic free Portland Beach Road route to the Chesil Beach Visitor Centre. A further 2.3km will take you to Fortuneswell on Portland.
Following a £900,000 investment (supported by £350,000 contribution from the Big Lottery funded Sustrans "Connect2" initiative) in 2012, the Newstead Road Bridge was installed, reconnected a missing link in the trail.
The trail (pdf, 4Mb) (opens in a new window) is very popular with pedestrians, cyclists and dog walkers and can get busy, especially during the summer. Please respect other users and be courteous.
There is space for all on the trail if people can follow some simple protocols.
As a cyclist
- Be aware that pedestrians may not see or hear you coming, especially young children and the elderly who cannot judge speed of approaching bikes. Please be considerate
- Slow down and ring your bell or say "excuse me please" when approaching pedestrians
- A polite "thanks" when passing always helps
- There may be occasions when you should give way, especially to young children and the elderly
- Look out for dogs, which owners do not have to keep on a lead
- Remember that although you may feel in complete control of your bike, a bike travelling at speed can be very intimidating to other path users, especially young children
The trail is not a place for cyclists to practice time trials, racing or travel excessively fast, especially when it is busy. if you want to go about 15mph in busy periods then please use alternative routes
As a pedestrian
- be aware that cyclists are entitled and encouraged to use the Rodwell Trail (every cyclist is one less car on the road)
- please expect to encounter cyclists so take care and pay due attention
- If you are walking in a large group, please do not walk 4 or 5 abreast as this blocks the trail for other pedestrians and cyclists
- if walking your dog, please keep it under control
Walk or cycle along the trail (pdf, 4Mb) (opens in a new window) and visit Henry Vlll's ruined castle set in a cliff top garden overlooking Portland Harbour.
Do you walk or cycle the Rodwell Trail? Would you like to be involved in helping to make this wonderful green route across town even better? Please contact us and join the Friends of the Rodwell Trail.