Skip Navigation

Do you want to build your own home?

Self-Build and Custom Build Registers have been set up across Dorset so that local people who would like to build their own home can register their interest.

What is Self-build & Custom Housebuilding?

Custom build housing, including self-build, is housing commissioned and built by individuals or groups of individuals for their own use, either by building the home on their own or working with builders. Custom build homes are often innovatively designed and can be cheaper, greener, and more affordable than standard market housing.

Custom build housing typically involves individuals or groups of individuals commissioning the construction of a new home or homes from a builder, contractor or package company or, in a modest number of cases, physically building a house for themselves or working with sub-contractors. This latter form of development is also known as 'self build' (i.e. custom build encompasses self build).

How can I register my interest?

Relevant authorities are required to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in the authorities' area in order to build houses to occupy as homes.

To add your details to the Register and for further information, please follow the relevant link for your area of interest and complete the enclosed application form:

Please note that registering your interest does not mean that you will necessarily obtain a suitable plot, but information from the Register will be taken into account in identifying opportunities to meet the demand for self and custom building in the future.

What is the purpose of self-build and custom housebuilding registers?

Self-build and custom housebuilding registers provide valuable information on demand for self build and custom housebuilding in Dorset and should form a key part of the Councils evidence base of demand for this type of housing.

Each relevant authority must have regard to each self-build and custom house building register that relates to their area when carrying out their planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration functions.

Who is eligible to be entered on the register?

The Government has issued Regulations about eligibility for entry on the register.  An individual is eligible if they are:

  • aged 18 or over

  • a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland

  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority's area to build a house to occupy as that individual's sole or main residence


If the applicant is a group or an association, each member must fulfil the eligibility criteria.

Powered by GOSS iCM