Skip Navigation

Home schooling

Most children will usually attend their local school, but some parents decide to take responsibility for their child's education outside of the school system. This is known as elective home education (EHE).

As a parent you have the right to educate your child at home. If you choose to do this, you are taking full responsibility for providing that education. You can educate your child yourself, or by making arrangements for someone else to educate them.

If you're thinking about home educating your child you can find more in our  information for parents (pdf, 538kb) (opens in a new window).

You can also contact our Elective Home Education (EHE) administrator.

If you decide to educate your child at home you'll need to write to your child's current school to tell them your decision. This is a legal requirement, which means your child will stay on the school roll until they receive your letter to tell them you want to home educate.

You can also complete and return our EHE parent carer questionnaire to our EHE administrator:

This is not a legal requirement but it helps us understand the change to your child's education.


Flexi-schooling or flexible school attendance is an arrangement between the parent and the school where the child is registered at the school but only attends the school part-time. The rest of the time the child is home educated (on authorised absence from school). Flexi-schooling is a legal option provided that the head teacher at the school concerned agrees to the arrangement.

Organisations and groups

There are many groups and organisations that can offer advice, support and resources for families who want to home educate.

Important note: the organisations we have listed are provided as useful information for parents. Dorset County Council does not endorse these organisations and it is up to parents to check suitability.

These are just a few organisations which may help you:

Intuitive media

Powered by GOSS iCM