Skip Navigation

Environmental permits

Certain industrial processes and activities which have the potential to cause pollution are required to have an Environmental permit to operate.

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 ("the EP Regulations") were made under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and prescribe those processes and activities which require a permit.

These processes are split into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Do I require a permit?

Schedule 1 Part 2 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 (opens in a new window) identifies those processes that require a permit and also into which category [Part A(1), A(2) or B] the process falls. Permits covering Part A(1) and Part A(2) sites will consider issues such as: emissions to air, land, water and energy and water usage.  Part B permits only consider emissions to air.

Who issues the permit?

For Part A(1) processes the Environment Agency (opens in a new window) issues the permit.

For Part A(2) and Part B processes your local council issues the permit and you can contact them using the details below. The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has produced a series of process and sector guidance notes (opens in a new window) that explain all the potential releases from specific industrial processes and the best available techniques for preventing or reducing the impact of emissions.  The notes also suggest conditions to be included within permits.

How much does a permit cost?

Defra set the fees (pdf, 82kb) (opens in a new window) for permits each year. There is an application fee and an annual subsistence fee which vary depending on the category of process for which the permit is being applied for [Part A(1) A(2) or B] and to a risk rating applied during inspections of the process.

How do I apply?

You can apply online for a local authority permit [Part A(2) and Part B processes] via (opens in a new window).

Applications (opens in a new window) for an environmental permit [Part A(2) and Part B] can also be sent directly to the relevant Local Authority along with the appropriate application fee.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact them, contact details are below.

What if my application is refused?

If your application for an environmental permit is refused, you may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Public Registers

Public Register of Permits for Purbeck District Council (pdf, 27kb) (opens in a new window)

West Dorset District Council public register for A2, B and T7 permits (pdf, 230kb) (opens in a new window)

Weymouth & Portland's public register for A2, B & T7 permits (excel, 39kb) (opens in a new window)

North Dorset District Council public register of permits (pdf, 14kb) (opens in a new window)

East Dorset District Council Public Register of Permitted Processes (pdf, 68kb) (opens in a new window)

Christchurch Borough Council Public Register Permitted Processes 2015 (pdf, 12kb) (opens in a new window)

Who should I contact if I have a consumer complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct (opens in a new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (opens in a new window)

Current applications

Purbeck District Council

The council must consult the residents of the district about applications for Environmental Permits, to operate a range of processes such as, combustion of waste and coating operations.

The council should take into account any representations made as a result of these consultations, when considering applications.

To facilitate this process, the council has received an application from Tapper & Son (Poole) Ltd for a permit to operate an installation for the cremation of human remains at Harbour View Woodland Burial Ground, Randalls Hill, Lytchett Minster, Dorset BH16 6AN.  Any written comments should be received by 28 April 2017.

Once the consultation period ends the Council will proceed to make a determination of the application. If an Environmental Permit is granted it will contain conditions which set controls and emission standards to minimise pollution.

Contact details for Purbeck District Council can be found at the bottom of this page.

Application for a Part B Permit (pdf, 2Mb) (opens in a new window)

Supporting Material - application for a Pert B Permit (pdf, 10Mb) (opens in a new window)



Powered by GOSS iCM
Dorset Feedback icon