Skip Navigation

Childcare funding while you study

Information on the childcare funding available to young parents who are studying.

What funding is available?

Young parents or adults who are studying could get:

  • Care to Learn payments
  • Discretionary Learner Support
  • a Childcare Grant

Care to Learn

This scheme helps with childcare costs of young parents aged under 20 years old at the start of a publicly-funded course in England. This can be any course and at most education providers (excluding higher education courses at university).

Find out more about the funding, eligibility and apply for Care to Learn (opens in a new window). See also the  Learner Support helpline (opens in a new window)​​ for more information. 

Discretionary Learner Support

This funding is for young people aged 19 or over on a further education course. You could also claim the funding if you get Disability Living Allowance. The amount you get will depend on your circumstances. You can use it to pay for accommodation, travel, course materials and childcare. Find out more and apply for Discretionary Learner Support (opens in a new window).

Childcare Grant

You could get a Childcare Grant if you are in full time higher education with a child under the age of 15 (under 17 if they have special educational needs). The amount you get will depend on the number of children you have. Find out more and apply for a Childcare Grant (opens in a new window).

Further information and advice


Find out about other childcare funding.

Powered by GOSS iCM