Birth, death, marriage and civil partnership copy certificates
Apply for copies of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates online.
- we can supply certificates for events which have taken place since July 1837 in Dorset (generally this does not include Bournemouth and Poole)
- if the event happened anywhere else you will need to contact the Register Office for that area
- due to county boundary changes, we hold birth and death records for Christchurch from 1 April 1997 onwards. Prior to this date you will need to contact Bournemouth Register Office (opens in a new window)
- we do hold some Christchurch marriage records dating from July 1837
- if you're unsure whether we hold a record, contact Dorset Registration Service before you apply
Information you'll need before you apply:
Date and place of birth, full name and parent's names.
If you need an adoption certificate, you will need to apply to the General Register Office (opens in a new window).
Date and place of death and full name of deceased.
Date and place of marriage, full names of couple.
If the marriage took place in a church in Dorset, please check with us before applying as we may not have the church records.
Date and place of civil partnership, full names and address of couple at time of registration.
Copy certificates (from an archived register) cost £10
Certificates bought at the time of registration cost £4
Certificates bought after registration but before the register is archived cost £7
When will I get the certificate?
We aim to send out certificates by first class post the next working day. Certificates ordered between Friday and Sunday will be sent out on the following Tuesday.
If the event was registered recently it may be in a register still in use in one of our offices, in which case the fee will be £7.00 and the certificate will be sent on the next opening day of that office.
How to apply
You can also:
- contact Dorset Registration Service (phone lines open Monday to Thursday 9am-5pm, Friday 9am to 5.45pm, Saturday 9am to 4.45pm). Please have your credit/debit card to hand
- visit the Dorset History Centre reception or make an appointment at one of our offices
Records before 1837
Contact the Dorset History Centre for records prior to 1 July 1837.