Food hygiene training
Food business operators must ensure all food handlers are supervised, instructed and trained in food hygiene matters as necessary.
Staff who handle food should appreciate the essentials of food hygiene before starting work, this should include:
- personal hygiene
- fitness to work
- temperature control
- cross contamination
- cleaning procedures
- labelling and other safety instructions
Staff that handle food should then receive further instruction from a competent person on the following within four weeks of starting work about:
- food poisoning
- personal health and hygiene
- cross contamination
- food storage
- waste disposal
- foreign body contamination
- awareness of pests
- any control or monitoring points identified by your food safety management procedure
Food safety courses
Some Local Authorities run food hygiene training courses.
Details can be found below of any courses which are being run in your area.
- Dorset Councils' Partnership are running a Level 2 award in Food Safety in Catering Course on the 8th December 2016 and 14th February 2017. Email email@example.com or telephone 01305251010 for more information.
Christchurch and East Dorset Council (pdf, 220kb) (opens in a new window) are running a Level 2 award in Food Safety in Catering Course on the 24th November 2016.
- Purbeck District Council (pdf, 117kb) (opens in a new window) are running a Level 2 award in Food Safety in Catering Course on the 28th March 2017 and a Refresher Course on the 21st March 2017.
Alternatively you can find other training providers Training Course Contacts (pdf, 132kb) (opens in a new window) in your area.
Environmental health contacts
Please see our Food hygiene and safety contacts.
Organisations offering food safety training
The most popular course in Food Safety is known as the 'Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering'. (This replaces the Foundation and Basic Food Hygiene certificates).
Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
The Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering (formerly the Basic Food Hygiene Certificate) provides a one day course, which is aimed at developing some understanding in the basic principals of food hygiene, and the prevention of food poisoning.
Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering
The Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering is for a manager who needs to be able to undertake a comprehensive food hazard analysis of their business. This is a three day course designed for food handlers who also work as supervisors, or for owners/managers of small food businesses.
Building upon basic hygiene principals to provide more detailed understanding of food production, processing, storage, transport, catering and retailing.
Level 4 Food Safety Training
Beyond being accountable, it is important for everyone in a managing or supervising position to have mastered the principals of food practice in food safety, thus gaining the ability to guide and advise on the management of food hygiene in a food business.
The CIEH Level 4 Awards in Food Safety have been designed as a five day programme to provide an in-depth understanding of food safety with an emphasis on the importance of the management of systems and staff.
- identify areas for legal compliance
- design an improvement plan
- deliver the CIEH Level 3 Award in Food Safety (with appropriate training skills)