Skip Navigation

Apply for and report changes for Housing Benefit or Council Tax support

Complete an application for housing benefit, standard reclaim, change of circumstances, change of address, discretionary housing payments, self employed information, council tax support or second adult rebate.

Christchurch, East Dorset or North Dorset Resident

Apply for Benefits - Purbeck, West Dorset and Weymouth and Portland

Read before you start:

If you are also applying for Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Pension Credit then please read our instructions for those making a new claim for another benefit at the same time.

How long does it take to work out people's benefit?

To help us process your claim as quickly as possible, please make sure that you send us all the documents we ask for on the claim form and that you have answered all the questions.

We will try to work out your benefit within two weeks of receiving your claim. This is not always possible, especially if we need more information or documents from you, the Department for Work & Pensions or the Pension Service. In these cases, we will deal with your claim as quickly as possible once we have received all the information we need.

The quicker you supply all the necessary information or documents the quicker we can deal with your claim.

What checks do we make once we've received your claim form?

When we receive your claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support we will carry out a number of checks and will require evidence to show proof of identity, other benefit payments, dependent children and your National Insurance number. Read more details about how we check your claim.

What can I use to prove my identity?

You will see on the claim form that we require at least two items of evidence from you to prove who you are. We need to see original documents. We cannot accept photocopies. See a list of acceptable forms of identification.

When will my benefit start?

For working age claimants your benefit will normally start from the Monday after we receive your claim. However, if you receive Income Support or Jobseekers' Allowance income-based, your benefit will start from the Monday after your Income Support or Jobseekers' Allowance income-based started. This applies as long as we receive your benefit application within four weeks of your claim for Income Support/Jobseekers' Allowance income-based.

For all pension age claims, a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support covers any period in the three months before the day the claim is actually received (or the day you notified your intention to claim, so long as it is followed up within the relevant time limits) but only back to the day you reached pension credit age, or the day you became liable for rent or council tax, if these are later.

Powered by GOSS iCM