Skip Navigation

Repatriation of bodies - abroad

Information about taking a body of a deceased person out of England or Wales

What does a repatriation abroad mean?

Repatriation means taking a body out of England or Wales for burial or cremation where the death has occurred in these countries.

What do I need to do to repatriate a body abroad?

To take a body out of England or Wales please contact your funeral director or the relevant embassy or Consulate for advice.

Where should I register the death?

A death occurring in the County of Dorset may be registered at any of our offices in Dorset. For further information view 'Death - Registering'.

The registrar will not issue a certificate of burial or cremation but instead they will supply you with a form which you will need to complete and send to the Coroner notifying them of your intention to remove the body.  Usually your funeral director will arrange this for you.

A body cannot be removed from the country until 4 clear days after you have notified the Coroner.  If the matter is urgent you should contact the Coroner for further advice.  This does not apply to deaths registered under the Visiting Forces Act 1952 and the International Headquarters and Defence Organisations Act 1964 where there is no requirement to give notice of intention to remove the body to the Coroner.

Powered by GOSS iCM