Skip Navigation

Useful contact details during severe weather

There are many phone numbers to think about during severe weather. Here are the main ones, all in one place

Print this page and keep it in a place readily to hand.

Emergencies - if life is in danger

Dial 999 for police, fire, ambulance and coastguard.

Please respect this service and only use in a genuine emergency.


Law enforcement - dial 101 from a Dorset landline or 01305 222 222 from a UK mobile, to speak to Dorset Police.

NHS England - dial 111 from a landline or mobile or for minor ailments, seek advice from a Pharmacist.


If the problem is urgent, which we define as instances of:

  • fallen trees or large branches in the road
  • landslips on the road
  • more than a quarter of the road flooded

or anything else similarly dangerous;

Call 01305 22 1020 (not including Bournemouth and Poole)

During our office hours (8.30am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday) you will be connected to an operator at Dorset County Council. At all other times, follow the automated prompts.

  • for roads in Poole - 0800 506050
  • for roads in Bournemouth - 01202 451145

All other enquiries, which are those that are routine and do not pose an immediate danger and therefore can wait until office hours resume, can be recorded using our online form.

Live travel alerts are updated with the latest travel news during severe weather.


Floodline - for updates by telephone, call: 0345 988 1188.

See our flooding information for online flood alert, warnings and advice or  if your property has been flooded, report it online (opens in a new window).


To report a power cut or dangerous situation with the power network, call: 105


If you suspect a gas leak, call the national gas emergencies helpline, 0800 111 999


If you find a leak or burst pipe in your home, call a plumber as soon as possible. Look up a number in the Yellow Pages (opens in a new window) or any other good telephone directory.

If your supply fails, you will need to contact whoever you pay your bill to, which is either; Wessex WaterSouth West Water, or Bournemouth Water.

Report and track road issues and enquiries

Stay connected - sign up to our free e-newsletter

Powered by GOSS iCM