Skip Navigation

Grants and loans for homes in disrepair

You may be eligible for a grant or loan to help pay for adaptations and repairs.

Councils in Dorset have some funds available to help home owners, tenants or landlords carry out some works.  Every year we publish our grants and loans policy (pdf, 315kb) (opens in a new window) which details the types of grants and loans that we can give and who is eligible to apply for them.  Some of the grants and loans available are the same across Dorset, however other forms of assistance are only available in specific local authority areas.

All councils also offer help and financial assistance to support disabled residents to safely access facilities within the home.  These grants are provided by the Dorset Accessible Homes Service (opens in a new window).

Types of grants and loans available

The range of assistance varies and may include some of the following:

Financial help with essential or emergency work to your home

If you need financial help to carry out essential or emergency works to your home the following organisations may also be able to assist.

Emergency Local Assistance

The new Emergency Local Assistance provides grants for Dorset residents in a crisis or a situation that poses an immediate threat to their health and safety.

Dorset Accessible Home Service (opens in a new window)

A service that can assist in finding alternative sources of funding for small, essential building work from government, charity and benevolent associations.

Royal British Legion (opens in a new window)

Financial assistance and help for those with a service connection.

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (opens in a new window)

Practical, emotional and financial support for anyone who is serving or has ever served in the armed forces and their families.

Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution (opens in a new window)

Support for those with a background working in agriculture.

Further information

For further information on grants for disabled and older people please contact the Dorset Accessible Homes Service (opens in a new window) directly, for any other queries please contact your Private Sector Housing Team at your local council.

Powered by GOSS iCM