Skip Navigation

Are you at risk of becoming homeless?

If you are at risk of losing your home or accommodation you should contact us for free advice and assistance as soon as possible.

The main thing to remember is to act early to give us as much time to help you as we can. The most common reasons we are asked to help are:

  • being asked to leave by friends or parents
  • landlords giving a notice to quit
  • experiencing domestic violence and abuse or other harassment
  • relationship breakdowns
  • difficulties maintaining rent or mortgage payment

Contact us for free advice and assistance

Where possible we aim to make sure you remain in your current home by providing advice at an early stage about your available housing options. Our Housing Advice Services are focused on homelessness prevention and will seek to understand your current situation to identify actions that could help you stay in your current home.

We will normally request you attend an interview with a Housing Officer to discuss your case in detail. You may be asked to provide information relevant to your situation such as:

  • your tenancy agreement
  • notice to quit from your landlord
  • letters threatening repossession from mortgage lenders
  • court orders you may have

You should also bring with you details of any debts and proof of household income, such as wages slips or details of benefits you receive. See further details of what documented evidence we may require. At the end of the interview we will agree on actions that you and the Housing Officer will carry out.

Contact us

What we can do to help

  • assist in negotiations with landlords and mortgage lenders even if you have a court order to leave your home
  • offer advice on maximising your income and managing debt which could be affecting your ability to afford your current accommodation, including advice on claiming Housing BenefitLocal Housing Allowance
  • help you tackle issues with unfit properties
  • refer you to support services/agencies to help you through difficulties you may be experiencing
  • put you in touch with other agencies that can offer specialist help such as if you are affected by domestic violence or abuse

Where it is not possible to prevent your homelessness

In instances where it is not possible to remain in your current home we will work with you to secure alternative accommodation before you become homeless.

We can:

  • refer you to a number of external agencies who may be able to offer you additional support
  • help you search the private rented sector for a new home
  • provide access to schemes which provide financial assistance to help secure homes in the private rented sector subject to certain qualifying criteria (These schemes, often called rent and deposit schemes, operate in each council area but may vary and are dependent on funding available and qualifying criteria)
  • help you apply for social housing through the  housing register (opens in a new window) process
  • provide advice on home ownership schemes (opens in a new window)
  • refer you to supported housing schemes where these are available

Additional independent advice

Independent housing advice can also be obtained free of charge from  Shelter (opens in a new window) or your local Citizens Advice, (opens in a new window)



Powered by GOSS iCM