The Dorset Waste Partnership and Recycle for Dorset
The Dorset Waste Partnership (DWP) is made up of seven Dorset councils working together to deliver waste, recycling and cleansing services across our county.
- West Dorset District Council
- Weymouth and Portland Borough Council
- Purbeck District Council
- North Dorset District Council
- East Dorset District Council
- Christchurch Borough Council
- Dorset County Council
Services the Dorset Waste Partnership is responsible for
- collection and disposal of household waste and recycling (the 'Recycle for Dorset' kerbside collection service)
- collection and disposal of garden waste for those who subscribe to the service
- mini recycling centres (bring banks) for items that can't be recycled at the kerbside
- household recycling centres (HRCs) - Owned by the DWP, operated by a contractor
- commercial waste and recycling - For businesses that subscribe to our services
- street cleaning and litter - Including investigation and enforcement
- education and campaigns
- Closed landfill sites - Monitoring and maintenance
The DWP services around 203,000 households across Dorset. It began rolling out its Recycle for Dorset kerbside collection service in 2011 and finished implementation in October 2015.
The Recycle for Dorset service
The DWP was created to deliver a 'whole system' approach, joining together the waste collection and disposal functions to provide services more efficiently across council boundaries. All partners agreed to adopt a single collection service, Recycle for Dorset, to replace the previous 12 different systems.
The standard Recycle for Dorset service consists of:
- a weekly collection of food waste using a 23-litre bin and 7-litre kitchen caddy
- a fortnightly collection of recycling using a 240-litre wheelie bin, a box for glass and a reusable bag for batteries
- a fortnightly collection of rubbish using a 140-little wheelie bin
Bag and box service
Households unable to use wheelie bins (opens in a new window) receive an equivalent 'bag and box' service using boxes for recycling and an annual supply of blue authorised sacks for rubbish.