Skip Navigation

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support for Purbeck, West Dorset and Weymouth & Portland councils

Make an online claim for benefits.

Before you start

From December 6 2017, Universal Credit is live for most households in Dorset. You may need to claim for your housing costs this way instead of Housing Benefit.

Even if you claim Universal Credit, you will still need to claim Council Tax Support through us.

Check if you need to claim Universal Credit

Apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

Apply for Purbeck

Apply for West Dorset

Apply for Weymouth and Portland

I need help to apply

Email us at

Please include your telephone number in case we need to call you back.

Sending us your documents

Send your form to us as soon as possible, even if you don't have all the requested documents. This means we can begin processing your application as quickly as possible.

We need original copies of proof of your identity. You can come in to our offices.

Find out where my nearest Benefits Office is.

All other documents can be submitted via email.

Discretionary Housing Payments

To apply for Discretionary Housing Payments, email

Powered by GOSS iCM