Using a van/trailer
No permit needed
- camper vans
- mobile homes
- double/dual cab pick ups
- people carriers
- estate cars
- trailers up to 1.8m x 1.2m (6ft x 4ft) not towed by a van
- hire vans (excluding van types listed under 'not allowed on site' below) - max 3 day hire
- vans up to 3.5t (excluding van types listed under 'not allowed on site' below)
- single cab pick ups
- car derived vans
- commercially registered vehicles
- sign written vehicles
Not allowed on site
- vans over 3.5t
- vans towing trailers
- single cab pick ups towing trailers
- any trailer over 1.8m x 1.2m (6ft x 4ft)
- Luton box vans
- flatbed vans
- tipper vans
- horse boxes
- agricultural vehicles
- hire vans - over 3 day hire
Apply for a permit
Apply for or update a recycling centre permit.
You must show site staff a hire agreement of a maximum of 3 days to take a hire van to a recycling centre. Hire vans with a hire agreement of more than 3 days will not be allowed to deposit waste on site.
Permits are not required for, or applicable to, hire vans. Please refer to allowed vehicle types above.
Vehicles that don't require a permit can use a trailer, but the maximum trailer size is 1.2 metres wide and 1.8 metres long (approx. 6ft x 4ft).
Vehicles that require a permit and are towing a trailer are not allowed to access our recycling centres.
Poole and Bournemouth Recycling Centres
Please note that you will not be able to bring vans onto either the Nuffield recycling centre in Poole or the Millhams community recycling centre in Bournemouth, even if you have a permit to use a van at Dorset Waste Partnership recycling centres.
Terms and conditions
- recycling centre staff will refuse entry to vans without a valid permit or hire agreement
- if a limited entry permit is not used in a 12 month period, it will not be automatically renewed and the holder will need to apply again
- vehicles must be registered to the applicant's home address to be eligible for a sole vehicle permit
- there is a one-tonne maximum weight limit on waste taken per visit for all vans and load-carrying vehicles
- we define a 'van' as a vehicle with a rear load-carrying capacity instead of seats and panels to the rear instead of windows
- tipper vans, flatbed vehicles, box/luton vans, horse boxes and agricultural vehicles cannot be used on our sites
- the largest vehicle accepted is a Ford Transit-type van and no vehicle more than 3.5 tonnes gross weight will be allowed onto any site
- large trailers more than 1.2 metres wide and 1.8 metres long cannot be used to take waste to our recycling centre
- vans towing trailers cannot be used on our sites
- permits are issued per household and not on an individual basis
- permits are not transferable
- Limited Entry Permits are automatically renewed annually unless they haven’t been used in the previous 12 month period, after which the holder will need to reapply
- Sole Vehicle Permits are renewed automatically every two years, unless holder cancels or amends permit
- checks will be carried out by the DWP for all applications received