Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Apply for copies of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates

Apply for a certificate

Buy copies of birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates.

Before you start

You'll need the following information before you apply:

Birth certificates

Date and place of birth, full name and parent's names.

If you need an adoption certificate, you will need to apply to the General Register Office.

Death certificates

Date and place of death and full name of deceased.

Marriage certificates

Date and place of marriage, full names of couple.

If the marriage took place in a church in Dorset, contact us before applying as we may not have the church records.

Civil partnership certificates

Date and place of civil partnership, full names and address of couple at time of registration.

Records we hold

We hold records of:

  • births, deaths and marriages which have taken place since July 1837 in Dorset (this doesn't include Bournemouth and Poole). Contact the Dorset History Centre for records before 1 July 1837
  • births and deaths for Christchurch from 1 April 1997 onwards (due to county boundary changes). For records before this date, contact Bournemouth Register Office
  • some Christchurch marriages dating from July 1837

If the birth, death or marriage happened outside of Dorset you will need to contact the register office for that area.

If you're unsure whether we hold a record, contact us before you apply.


Copy certificates from an archived register cost £10.

Other ways to apply

Privacy Notice

For more information about how we handle your personal data read the Registration Service Privacy Notice

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.