Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Animal boarding licence

When you need a licence

Commercial boarding

If you wish to operate a commercial boarding establishment for either dogs or cats, then you must apply for a licence. The licence will specify the maximum number of animals it is permitted to board on the premises.

Home boarding

If you wish to board dogs in a domestic premises (home boarding) then you will also require a licence. It is only permitted to board dogs from the same family and the maximum number of dogs the premises is allowed to board at any one time (never more than three) will be specified on the licence.

Regulations summary

Regulations concerning boarding establishments and eligibility criteria can be found in the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.