Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Animal welfare licences

Changes to animal licensing laws from 1 October 2018

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals)(England) Regulations 2018came into effect on 1st October 2018. Under the new laws anyone carrying out any of the activities listed below will be covered under a single type of licence known as an animal activity licence:

  • selling animals as pets
  • boarding cats or dogs
  • providing boarding kennels for dogs
  • providing home boarding (including day care) for dogs
  • hiring out horses
  • breeding dogs dog breeders
  • keeping or training animals for exhibition

Animal activity licences have new nationally-set conditions for businesses providing animal-related services. We cannot change these conditions as they are set in the legislation. Businesses operating with these activities will need to comply with the new conditions, and will be assessed before the license is granted to make sure they can meet them.

Dangerous wild animal licences and zoo licences are not altered by the new regulations.

Read the Procedural Guidance for Animal Activity Licensing 2018issued to local authorities.

Existing licence holders

Businesses operating under current licences will be able to continue to do so until the expiry date of their licence.

Applications to renew licences will be under the new legislation. Existing licence holders will need to apply for their renewed licences under the new laws 10 weeks before the renewal date.

Once the application has been received, we will examine the information provided, then instruct an Animal Welfare Officer and/or a Vet to arrange an inspection.

Apply for a licence

Application forms are in 3 parts. You must complete the:

  1. Standard Introductory Section
  2. Declaration Section
  3. Relevant form for the activity(s) required:

Contact us

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.