Skip to content

Dorsetforyou uses cookies to make the site simpler. Read our cookie policy to find out more or close this message to accept.

Close alert

Chaperone licence

If a child takes part in a form of public performance using a performance licence we have issued, they must legally be supervised. This should be from a responsible adult such as:

  • a parent or guardian
  • a licensed chaperone
  • an agreed tutor

A chaperone can supervise up to 12 children at any one time. We recommend you have 2 chaperones to 12 children. This will allow for any time in which the children may need to split up.

Applying for the first time

To get a chaperone licence you will need to:

  1. Fill out an online application form.
  2. Contact the business support team.
  3. Attend a meeting at our offices at County Hall in Dorchester.
  4. Complete an DBS check. An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check (DBS) check id compulsory and is carried out by Dorset County Council after you have attended your pre-arranged meeting at County Hall.
  5. Complete a Child Exploitation Training course.

The online form

You should not apply before 8 weeks before the first performance date. To complete the form, you will need:

  • your National Insurance Number
  • the performance name, dates and venue

You will also need details of your 2 referees. This includes their:

  • full names
  • home address and postcode
  • contact number
  • email address (this will speed up the process)

Setting up a meeting

Once you have submitted the form, contact the Business Support Team. They will arrange a short meeting at County Hall in Dorchester. You must bring the following to the meeting:

  • a form of ID*
  • a passport style photo (if you didn't upload one on the online form)

*We will email you details of acceptable ID and directions to County Hall.

Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check

A DBS check is compulsory.

All applicants must have a valid DBS issued by Dorset County Council. We are unable to accept a DBS from any other source. If we have issued you one in the last 3 years you may have to provide proof of this. 

If you do not have a DBS we will carry out a check before issuing a licence. There is no fee if you are applying on a volunteer basis. Those applying on a professional basis must pay £56. A DBS clearance can take up to 6 weeks, so make sure you give yourself enough time before the performance date. 

Child Sexual Exploitation course

All chaperones must undertake the online Child Sexual Exploitation training course. We will email you the details of how to access the course when we get your application. When the training is complete you will get emailed a certificate. Email this to the Business Support Team once you have got it. 

Apply for a chaperone licence

You can apply for a chaperone licence or renew an exisiting licence.

We will aim to process and issue your licence in time for the first performance, but it is reliant on:

  • return of references
  • Enhanced DBS clearance
  • your completion of the Child Sexual Exploitation online training course

Renewing your licence 

If you have already had a chaperone licence for a previous performance and want to reapply, you will only need the performance name, dates and venue. Please check that you hold a current Enhanced DBS certificate issued by Dorset County Council (valid for 3 years from the date of issue). You will need to do a Child Sexual Exploitation training course if you have not done this before.

You should not apply before 5 weeks before the first performance date.

Chaperoning more than one performance

You can only use the licence for the performance and dates given on the licence. You can apply for a renewal licence for each performance you want to chaperone after this. You will need to submit an up-to-date photo of yourself every 6 months. Your DBS approval will be valid for 3 years from the issue date on your DBS certificate.

Read our chaperone licence privacy notice to find out how we use your application information.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.