Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Temporary event notice

If you’re organising a temporary event and want to serve or sell alcohol, provide late night refreshment, or put on regulated entertainment, you’ll need to complete a temporary event notice (TEN).

For the purpose of a TEN, a temporary event is a relatively small-scale event attracting fewer than 500 people and lasting no more than 168 hours.

When you need a TEN

You need a TEN if:

  • alcohol is sold at your event
  • entertainment continues after 11pm
  • food and drink are served after 11pm

Find out more about TENs including refusals and how to appeal a refusal

Before you start

You should:

We will inform the Police and Environmental Health Department when we receive your notice.

Apply for a TEN in Christchurch and East Dorset

If you have not had a licence or permit with the council before, you will need to register. If you are an existing customer, contact us and we will send you a code and details on how to activate your account so you can make applications online.

Apply for a TEN in Purbeck

Submit an application to Purbeck District Council on You'll need a debit or credit card to pay the application fee.

Apply for a TEN in North Dorset, West Dorset and Weymouth and Portland

If you have not had a licence or permit with the council before, you will need to register. If you are an existing customer, contact us to get an activation key which will allow you to view your past applications and save you re-entering all of your details.

For more help applying, see the guidance notes.

Alternatively you can download the postal form and guidance for a temporary event notice.

Contact us

Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies to TENs. Tacit consent applies to some licences and means that you can act as if your application has been granted if you do not receive your licence/permit within a certain time after we confirm we have received your application.

How many TENs you can apply for

You can apply for up to 5 temporary event notices per year without the need for a personal licence. There must be at least 24 hours between events. 

Personal licence holders can apply for up to 50 temporary event notices per year for events at premises with no licence or for premises with a licence, where the licence does not cover planned activities.

No premises will be granted more than 15 temporary event notices per year or for a total of more than 21 days per year.

Temporary event notice fees

TEN licence fees
Application or noticeFee
Temporary event notice £21
Replacement of a temporary event notice (due to theft or loss) £10.50

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.