Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Scrap metal and motor salvage licence

If you run a business that buys or sells scrap metal or are a motor salvage operator then you must be licensed with the local authority.

The legislation concerning Scrap Metal Dealers and Motor Salvage Operators is the Scrap Metals Dealers Act 2013.

There are two different types of scrap metal licence:

Site licence

If you have a site or premises where metal is stored you will need to apply for a site licence, which allows the licence holder to carry on business at any site in the council's area.

Collector's licence

If you do not store scrap metal and work as a mobile (door-to-door) collector, you will need to apply for a collector's licence.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.