Active 4 Health Lifestyle Hub
What is Active 4 Health?
The Active 4 Health partnership supports local people who have been referred by a health professional to get more active. We aim to encourage local people across Christchurch and East Dorset to get and keep active through a wide range of activities to suit location, interest and health need. With hundreds of weekly opportunities both indoors and out, help is at hand to help you make the first steps. Please see below for the Active 4 Health partnership sites.
Active 4 Health Lifestyle Hub
The Active 4 Health Lifestyle Hub provides a gateway for local people in Christchurch and East Dorset to become and stay active for their health and wellbeing, by finding a suitable and safe exercise programme for your health needs, activity interest and location.
The Active 4 Health Lifestyle Coordinator (Qualified Exercise Referral Instructor) connects people living with a health condition who have been referred by a Health Professional into an active pathway. The Lifestyle Coordinator also supports inactive people and those who are unsure of how to start their active journey.
Who is it for?
Exercise can help manage, improve or reduce the chance of developing many health conditions. Active 4 Health provides support for those living with a health condition, for which a formal health professional referral is required, or those who are in active.
Activities and choices
There are a huge range of activities on offer to support people. Although a structured 12 week exercise referral programme within a leisure centre setting may suit some, entry level activities including Health Walks and Aqua classes may be more appealing to others. To help support and encourage clients to become and stay active, the Active 4 Health Lifestyle Coordinator chats to each individual to carry out a lifestyle screening to identify activity interests alongside health needs. Here are some of the options which are considered:
- 12 week exercise referral programme*
- gym sessions
- fitness classes
- aqua fit classes
- hydrotherapy (gentle exercises in a swimming pool)
- free health walks/health cycle rides
- Nordic Walking
- walking football/netball
- health circuits
- referral walks
- accessible circuits
- Otago (chair based exercises aimed to improve balance)
- specialist classes for COPD, cardiac, stroke and back rehabilitation
- and much more!
The 12 week exercise referral programme*
The 12 week exercise referral programme includes regular one to one consultations with the most suitable exercise referral instructor. The exercise referral instructor will design a personalised, safe and suitable exercise programme for each individual. Throughout the 12 week programme, clients will have access to the leisure centre facilities at a reduced price including the gym, swimming and classes. If appropriate outdoor physical activities such as free Health Walks and Health Cycle rides will be incorporated into the clients programme.
How does it work?
- For those living with a health condition, an Active 4 Health referral form needs to be completed by a health professional e.g. GP, physiotherapist and practice nurse. For those who are not living with a health condition but are inactive, can contact the lifestyle coordinator directly
- Contact made with the lifestyle coordinator to agree the most appropriate exercise pathway
- Initial consultation with suitable exercise referral instructor or start suitable physical activity
- Consultations to review progress every 4, 8 and 12 weeks
- Contact with lifestyle coordinator again at 12 weeks, 6 months and 12 months to evaluate and support as required
Active 4 Health Centres
Community opportunities within Christchurch and East Dorset
Queen Elizabeth Leisure Centre
The Verwood Hub
Ferndown Leisure Centre
Two Riversmeet Leisure Centre, Christchurch
BH Live, Corfe Mullen
Moors Valley Country Park and Forest
The cost of the Active 4 Health exercise referral programme and entry level activities vary between sites. The Active 4 Health Lifestyle Coordinator can provide more information, please just ask.
Active 4 Health brochure
Active 4 Health referral timetable
Meet the team
Sign up to our e-newsletter
Stay up to date with free email updates from Active 4 Health, giving you healthy tips and active ideas from Christchurch and East Dorset.