Bereavement - registering a death
A death must be registered within five days unless a coroner is involved.
Find details of your local register office
What you need to take with you
Registering a death usually takes half an hour. You will need to take the following documents with you:
- medical certificate signed by a doctor
- optional - birth certificate
- optional - marriage/civil partnership certificate
- optional - NHS medical card
- optional - National Insurance number
Tell Us Once
When you register a death, you can use the Tell Us Once service. This service will let you report a death to most government organisations in one go.