Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Equipment - help and advice

At some time in our lives it may become difficult to carry out everyday tasks. Using equipment and technology can mean that you do not have to rely on others to stay independent for longer.

Our top ten things to think about will help you to plan your future care, even if you don't need support at the moment.

The NHS have mobility aids such as wheelchairs and walkers. You can ask your GP for more details or go to the Dorset Wheelchair Service website.

Find equipment suppliers


The Disabled Living Foundation has information about equipment to help with tasks such as:

Ask Sara is a useful website which asks questions about the problems you are having and suggests products that might be helpful.

Living Made Easy provides advice on a wide range of equipment.

Independent Living Centres

Independent Living Centres can help if you are not sure what equipment you need. This is a great way to try out equipment without any pressure. Some items of equipment can even be borrowed for free to try at home.


Telecare equipment and services can support your safety and independence in your own home. The equipment can sense risks such as smoke, floods and gas, can remind you to take pills and even call for help if you fall. A help centre can be contacted automatically if any of these problems occur in your home. If needed the help centre can arrange for someone to come to your home or can contact your family, doctor or emergency services. The system can also warn you of problems by sounding an alarm, flashing lights or vibrating a box which can be kept in your pocket or under your pillow.

There are a number of organisations who provide Telecare. Some of these are listed in our service provider directory.

The Disabled Living Foundation have lots of information about Telecare equipment and services.

If you are not sure whether Telecare can help, you could visit an Independent Living Centre. You can see the equipment used and get free independent expert advice from an occupational therapist.

Alternatively, one of our occupational therapists can visit you at home to talk about what you might need.

Assisted living with Barry and Mary
Assisted living with Barry and Mary

Sight and hearing centres

We have information about sight and hearing if you have an impairment. We also have sight and hearing centres. Like Independent Living Centres these offer an opportunity to see and try out specialist equipment and to get advice.

Occupational therapists

Occupational therapists can visit you at home to talk about what you might need.

Further information

You may also like to look at these related pages:

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.