Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Register as a childcare provider

To look after children under 8 for more than 2 hours a day, and get paid, you must register with either:

  • Ofsted
  • a childminder agency (who will be registered with Ofsted)

Registering as a childcare provider

To find out about registering to provide childcare in Dorset:

Registering as a childminder

To provide childcare from your own home, you need to register as a childminder. This is also the case if you work with up to 2 other people from a home that’s not the home of the child(ren).

As well as advice on registration, the early years and childcare service can also give support to help you decide if childminding is right for you. This includes our:

Registering as a nanny

You do not have to register with Ofsted as a nanny (home childcarer). However, parents may be able to get help paying for childcare if you do register. Read Ofsted's quick guide to registering as a nanny.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, issues you have with the pages or any feedback you have.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.