Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

SENDIASS support services and documents

See the SEN pages for more information about the support available to children with SEND.

Services and support groups

See the table for details of independent services that can provide additional support to you child or family alongside our work. Contact the services to receive support:

Service and support groups information
 Service or group What they offer
Council for Disabled Children They bring together professionals, practitioners and policy-makers for the disabled children's sector.
Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA) National charity, providing free, legal-based advice to families who have children with SEN.
Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST) SENDIST handle appeals against councils' decisions about the education of children with SEN.
Equality Advisory Support Service

EASS provides free advice and guidance to individuals who believe that they have:

  • been a victim of discrimination
  • had their human rights breached
The Xchange The Xchange is an interactive news and information network for children who are disabled across Dorset.
Dorset Parent Carer Council (DPCC) DPCC is a group run by parents; they aim to inform all agencies and services about the needs of disabled children and their families in Dorset. 
Autism Wessex

Autism Wessex is a regional charity; they provide specialist services for people affected by autism and associated difficulties across:

  • Dorset
  • Somerset
  • Hampshire
  • Wiltshire
Coping with Chaos

This group supports families caring for a child or young person with a disability or SEN living in:

  • Dorset
  • Bournemouth 
  • Poole
Sibs Sibs is a UK charity; they represent the needs of brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults. 

A-Stars is a club for children over the age of 5 and young adults and their families with:

  • Asperger's Syndrome
  • an autism-related condition (ASC)


Find our policy documents:

See the SEN and disabilities guide for parents and carers to find out:

  • more about SEN
  • how the system works
  • what to expect

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.