Daniella is 19 and has a learning disability and Downs Syndrome. She is a full time student in her transitional year at Beaucroft School near Wimborne. With our support she now volunteers in a charity shop. See our short video to find out about Daniella's volunteer work.
How we supported Daniella to find a job
Helping Daniella develop her skills
Daniella had clear goals she wanted to achieve. This included extending her work experience by doing voluntary work.
Our adult social care referred Daniella to the vocational services team. Pat Sam's, vocational support officer, helped her to develop her skills and confidence. They met during school time to:
- discuss different types of employment
- look at courses and qualifications offered by local colleges
- create an up-to-date CV
- compile a portfolio of qualifications and achievements
- research local jobs on the internet
Support Daniella during the interview process
Age Concern in Christchurch offered Daniella a voluntary work placement. After Daniella applied for the role, she was offered an interview.
Pat helped Daniella by:
- preparing her for interview by practicing interview techniques and body language
- taking her to the workplace and supporting her during her interview
After a confident interview, they gave her 2 hours' voluntary work on Saturdays.
How is Daniella getting on at her work?
Daniella is very happy, she enjoys all the tasks they give her and thinks she makes a good contribution to the staff team. The experience and skills she is gaining will help her get paid employment in the future.