Skip Navigation

Data Protection

How we comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and how you can obtain details of personal information we hold about you.

Changes to Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) is on the way

We've been preparing for the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which start on 25 May 2018.

Data can seem a complex subject, but it's part of everything we do.

The GDPR puts customers' rights at the centre of data protection.

It will change how businesses and local authorities handle the information held on you.

What's new?

There are quite a few differences between the way things work now and the way they will work in the future.  The new Bill will make it much easier for you to get hold of the information organisations hold on you, and will give you the right to withdraw consent for your personal data to be used. You can request information held on you free-of-charge.

  • you will be able to get hold of the information organisations hold on you much more freely
  • it will be simpler for you to withdraw consent for your personal data to be used
  • you will be able to ask for data to be deleted
  • councils and all organisations will need to obtain "explicit" consent when they process sensitive personal data
  • personal data will include IP addresses, DNA and small text files known as cookies
  • it will be a criminal offence to re-identify anyone from anonymised or pseudonymised data

Both personal data and sensitive personal data are covered by GDPR.

What is personal data?

Personal data is information about a living individual from which that person can be identified. That information can be in a variety of formats. For example it might be on computer, in a paper filing system or in more unusual formats such as CCTV footage.

Why does dorsetforyou collect data about people?

We need to collect personal data to fulfil our functions in relation to the provision of Social , Education, Environmental Services (planning, highways, etc.) and other functions such as benefits and licensing.

What principles apply to the collection of personal data?

There are eight governing principles that must be followed in relation to the processing of data about individuals.

  1. Data must be processed fairly and lawfully.
  2. Data must be collected and processed for only one or more specified purposes. In other words, we must not collect data for one reason and then use it for something else.
  3. Data we hold must be adequate for its purpose or purposes but not excessive or irrelevant.
  4. Data must be accurate and, where necessary, kept up-to-date.
  5. We must not keep data for longer than necessary.
  6. We must process data in accordance with the rights of the data subject under the act.
  7. Data must be kept securely and we must guard against its accidental loss.
  8. We must not transfer personal data outside the European Economic Area unless the Country receiving it has an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects.

Can I find out what data Dorsetforyou holds about me?

As a data subject you have the right:

  • to be told whether we are processing information about you
  • to be provided with a description of the data, why we are processing it and the sorts of people or organisations we might disclose the information to
  • to be provided with a copy of the data in an intelligible and permanent form
  • to be told, if we know, where the information was obtained from

How do I obtain information about me?

You must make a Subject Access Request in writing with a verifiable signature. You can do this by using our Subject access request form (pdf, 75kb) (opens in a new window).

When making a Subject Access Request you will be asked to provide some means of identification. This is to safeguard all Data Subjects by making sure that we only supply information to those who are entitled to receive it. Acceptable forms of identification are a birth certificate or driving license or a photocopy of either. Original documents, if provided, will be returned to you as soon as possible.

If I am unable to make a Subject Access Request myself can I ask somebody to do it for me?

Yes, but you will need to give them authority to do so. See the Subject access request form (pdf, 75kb) (opens in a new window) for further information. If there is no-one who can help you then let the Data Protection Officer know and he will make arrangements for somebody to assist you if necessary.

Is there a fee to make a Subject Access Request?

Current legislation allows us to charge a maximum of £10. The payment process is as follows:

Requests to Christchurch Borough Council

A cheque should be sent to Christchurch Borough Council, Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Christchurch,
Dorset, BH23 1AZ

Requests to East Dorset District Council

A cheque should be sent to East Dorset District Council, PO Box 9148, Christchurch, BH23 9JQ

Requests to Dorset County Council

A cheque or Postal Order should be sent to the Data Protection Team, RMU, County Hall, Colliton Park, Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 1XJ.

Requests to North Dorset District Council

A cheque made out to North Dorset District Council should be sent to North Dorset District Council, Nordon, Salisbury Road, Blandford Forum, Dorset, DT11 7LL

Requests to Purbeck District Council

There are several ways you can pay this fee:

  • a cheque made out to Purbeck District Council can be sent to Purbeck District Council, Westport House, Worgret Road, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 4PP
  • you can visit the address above and pay by card, cheque or exact cash (no change available)
  • you can pay over the phone by telephoning 01929 556561

Requests to West Dorset District Council

A cheque or postal order should be made out to West Dorset District Council and sent to West Dorset District Council, South Walks House, South Walks Road, Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 1UZ

Requests to Weymouth and Portland Borough Council

A cheque or postal order should be made out to Weymouth and Portland Borough Council and sent to Weymouth & Portland Borough Council Offices, Commercial Road, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8NG

How long will a Subject Access Request take?

We will endeavour to provide you with the requested information as soon as possible and no later than 40 calendar days from receipt of a valid request.

Can I always obtain information about myself?

Not always. The Act has a number of exemptions. If you make a Subject Access Request and we consider that the information concerned is exempt from any provision of the Act then we will explain why. If you disagree with our view, you can ask us to reconsider or you can take the matter up with the Information Commissioner who oversees compliance with this legislation. His details are given at the end of this page.

What can I do if I think that information you hold about me is incorrect?

Write to us explaining what you think is wrong and ask for the data to be corrected. We must tell you what we have done or intend to do within 21 days. If you do not agree with our decision, you can ask us to record that disagreement for future reference - or you can take the matter up with the Information Commissioner.

Can I claim any compensation if I think that information about me has been wrongly used?

If we have broken any of the rules or conditions established by the Act and you have suffered damage or distress as a result of this, then you may be able to claim compensation through the Courts. Any such claim will need to show that we had not taken reasonable care to comply with the Act.

Contact us

To get in touch about data protection contact us.

Powered by GOSS iCM