Skip Navigation

Advice on housing options for victims of domestic abuse

Losing your home because of domestic abuse can impact on all aspects of your life. The Dorset Domestic Abuse Strategic Group is committed to measures which assist victims to stay in their homes if they choose to do so or to enable them to move.

Advice on housing options for victims of domestic abuse

The  Domestic Abuse Housing and Support Services Delivery Plan 2014/16 (pdf, 170kb) (opens in a new window) details how partners in Dorset County will work together to ensure that all victims have access to quality support services, including housing, which meet their individual and diverse needs.

Dorset's Borough and District Councils undertake work to prevent homelessness due to domestic abuse, including providing target hardening where appropriate. If you live in Dorset and need advice on your housing options or want to know what can be done to enable you to stay in your own home, please contact your Housing Department or Housing Advice Centre.

If you live in Bournemouth and need advice on housing options contact Bournemouth Housing Department on 01202 451451

If you live in Poole and need advice on housing options contact Poole Housing Department 01202 633804

Homeless Prevention Service

First Point is a Dorset wide homeless prevention service which can also support victims of domestic abuse. First Point can be contacted on 0845 3106 843. Please note that calls to this number will now incur a cost. This comprises of an access charge to your telephone company and a service charge which goes to the provider of the number. Please note that calls may also show up on an itemised telephone bill.


Refuges provide a place of safety for women, and their children, who need to leave home because of domestic abuse. There are two women's refuges located in Dorset which are part of the You First integrated service and women needing refuge accommodation can also access refuges in Bournemouth and Poole and elsewhere in the country. The Poole refuge also offers accommodation for male victims and You First has safe houses for those victims needing to move but for whom a refuge is not suitable.

Contact details for refuges, safe houses and for other local and national organisations which can provide help and advice to victims of domestic abuse can be found in where to get help.


Powered by GOSS iCM