Charges, payments and refunds for the Surplus Seat Travel Scheme (non OSOO schools)
For costs of a surplus seat for 'one school one operator' schools, contact the operator directly.
Cost for a surplus seat
The table details the cost per year for 2017 and 2018.
Cost of the surplus seat travel scheme
|Academic year||Cost per year|
Sixth form student's can pay 50% less for a surplus seat if:
- they're a resident in the Dorset County Council area, even if attending a school/sixth form in a neighbouring authority
- they're under 19 on 31 August immediately preceding the start of the academic year
- they live over 5 miles from their nearest and/or appropriate school/sixth form
- they're in full time education (16 hours or more over 3+ days per week)
- their immediate family is in receipt of the maximum level of Working Tax Credit or would have qualified for free school meals
It will also be reduced if the student had a compelling medical circumstance prior to post 16 education which resulted in transport support and a case is made for it to continue. This applies to nearest school/college only and they must have supporting evidence from the appropriate Medical Officer. For full details, see the post 16 transport support policy.
How to pay
We will contact you to arrange payment once we process your application. You can pay in one lump sum or instalments. You can also pay by direct debit.
In the event that a seat is not available, we will refund you in full. If payments are missed, we may withdraw your student's travel pass.
Apply for a place
Complete our form to request a seat. Once you have applied, you will receive an email with details on what happens next.
You can request a refund if the student's circumstances have changed. Such as if the student has moved house.
If a year 12 or 13 student does not get the exam results they need to get into their school or college, they can get a refund for any payments they have made in advance, as long as the School Transport team is told by the end of August.
As payment for travel is for the complete school year, we cannot give refunds to students on study leave in the summer term.
Request a refund
Complete our enquiry form to request a refund.