Skip to content

Dorsetforyou uses cookies to make the site simpler. Read our cookie policy to find out more or close this message to accept.

Close alert

School travel passes

Dorset County Council (DCC) school bus passes

You will get sent a DCC bus pass to your home address, by second class post. Your school bus pass will last for your entire attendance at your school or college (unless your entitlement changes). You will not be re-issued a pass every year.

We are fitting all school vehicles with electronic chip readers. This is so we can check your pass on the school vehicle and record your journey using the electronic chip on your pass. 

You will find your route numbers on the pass (see photo of bus pass). The first number is the route number for your morning route. The second is for your afternoon journey.

Photo of DCC school bus pass

If there is only one number, you are only entitled to travel one way.

Scholars bus passes (passes for public bus routes)

You will get your scholars bus pass sent to your home address. Your pass will get renewed every year (if you are still entitled).

When will I get my pass?

If you have not got your pass within 10 working days of being told your transport arrangements, contact School Transport.

Lost or damaged bus passes

If you lose or damage* your bus pass and it needs replacing during the academic year, you must get a temporary pass until you're issued a replacement. You cannot use transport without one. You can get one from your school office or the School Transport team.

*If your pass is damaged, you must return the original pass to Dorset Travel.

School contract bus pass

If you travel on a school contract bus and have a DDC pass, you can report a lost bus pass online. It will cost £10 for a replacement pass. If the pass needs replacing more than once it will cost £20, subject to a regular review.

Bus company pass

If the pass was issued by a bus company, contact the company for a replacement. The charge for a replacement pass is set by the bus company.

Routes and timetables

Your pass will only valid for your designated route. However you can get on and off the bus at any stop within your route.

You cannot use it on other services without authorisation from the School Transport team.

If you have moved since you first applied for a school place you must complete a new transport application. This is to check whether you are entitled from your new address.

View routes and timetables.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.