Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Starting secondary or upper school

Apply for a place at a secondary or upper school

Before you apply:

  • if you live in Dorset (not Bournemouth or Poole), and pay your Council Tax to any Dorset council, apply to us for a Dorset school reception place. You can check your  local council area
  • if you live in Dorset and pay your Council Tax to any Dorset council and you want to apply for a school place in another local authority area, you still need to apply to us
  • read our parents' guide for information about the different types of schools and how to apply
  • find schools in your catchment area - you'll need your postcode
  • read the admissions policies for schools you're interested in; you can find these on a school's website
  • contact our SEN team before you apply if you have an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • check  Dorset's Local Offer for information on support for children with special educational needs and disabilities

You may have to complete an additional form if you want to apply to religious schools. This is an extra form which should be sent to the schools themselves, unless stated differently, and is not instead of an application form.

The closing date for starting school applications is 31 October 2018. If you apply after this date it will be classed as late.

For other year groups you should make an in year application.

Apply for a secondary or upper school place

List up to 3 schools in order of preference. One of these schools should be your catchment school. You'll receive a confirmation email once you've submitted your application.

Make sure you've sent any required medical evidence to our schools admissions team. We can only consider your application based on the evidence you've submitted by the closing date.

Christchurch residents and Local Government Reorganisation

Christchurch residents should apply through us. The applications for children transferring to secondary school will be managed by Dorset County Council.

The information you provided on your application will be used by us for the purposes of allocating you a school place. In order to ensure that all children are provided with a school place in time for September 2019, the information you provide will also be used by Dorset Council and Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council after 1 April 2019 for this purpose.

If you can't apply online, fill in and return a paper application form, this should be posted by the closing date, make sure you include proof of posting:

Secondary school:

Upper school:

Making changes to your submitted application

If you want to make changes to your submitted application, you need to complete a change of preference form:

We process applications based on the information you give in your application. This means if you change your address after 31 October, we'll process your application using the address you were living at on the closing date.

How we tell you about an offer of a school place

We send out offers for all on-time applications for children starting secondary or upper school by first class post on 1 March. If you have applied online we're also send you an email.

We can't:

  • tell you about your transport entitlement over the phone, this will be confirmed via your letter
  • tell you about your offer over the phone
  • send information by email if you applied using a paper form
  • discuss details with anyone not specified on the application form
  • discuss available places at a school, as this changes frequently
  • inform you of your outcome if your application is received late. Late application offers will be sent by first class post on 29 March

What to do when you have a school place offer

We automatically assume acceptance but we do ask parents and carers to respond to the school place offer by the 30 April if you wish to either:

  • decline the place offered, you must give us the reason why
  • ask for your child to go on a waiting list

You can only request for your child to be added to a particular school's waiting list if you've already applied for this school and been refused a place at it.

Find out more about school waiting lists.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is for reporting incorrect website content, technical issues, or general website feedback.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.