Starting secondary or upper school
Apply for a place at a secondary or upper school
Applications for September 2019 open 1 September 2018.
Please do not try to apply or create an account before this date.
Before you apply:
- if you live in Dorset (not Bournemouth or Poole), and pay your Council Tax to any Dorset council, apply to us for a Dorset school reception place. You can check your local council area
- if you live in Dorset and pay your Council Tax to any Dorset council and you want to apply for a school place in another local authority area, you still need to apply to us
- read our parents' guide for information about the different types of schools and how to apply
- find schools in your catchment area - you'll need your postcode
- read the admissions policies for schools you're interested in; you can find these on a school's website
- check Dorset's Local Offer for information on support for children with special educational needs and disabilities
You may have to complete an additional form if you want to apply to religious schools. This is an extra form which should be sent to the schools themselves, unless stated differently, and is not instead of an application form.
The closing date for starting school applications is the 31 October 2018, should you apply after this date it will be classed as late.
For other year groups you should make an in year application.
Apply for a secondary or upper school place
List up to 3 schools in order of preference. One of these schools should be your catchment school. You'll receive a confirmation email once you've submitted your application.
Make sure you've sent any required medical evidence to our schools admissions team. We can only consider your application based on the evidence you've submitted by the closing date.
If you can't apply online, fill in and return a paper application form, this should be posted by the closing date, make sure you include proof of posting:
Making changes to your submitted application
If you want to make changes to your submitted application, you need to complete a change of preference form:
We process applications based on the information you give in your application. This means if you change your address after 31 October, we'll process your application using the address you were living at on the closing date.
How we tell you about an offer of a school place
We send out offers for all on-time applications for children starting secondary or upper school by first class post on 1 March. If you have applied online we're also send you an email.
- tell you about your transport entitlement over the phone, this will be confirmed via your letter
- tell you about your offer over the phone
- send information by email if you applied using a paper form
- discuss details with anyone not specified on the application form
- discuss available places at a school, as this changes frequently
- inform you of your outcome if your application is received late. Late application offers will be sent by first class post on 29 March
What to do when you have a school place offer
We automatically assume acceptance but we do ask parents and carers to respond to the school place offer by the 30 April if you wish to either:
- decline the place offered, you must give us the reason why
- ask for your child to go on a waiting list
You can only request for your child to be added to a particular school's waiting list if you've already applied for this school and been refused a place at it.
Find out more about school waiting lists.