Skip Navigation

Educational Psychologists

The role of the County Psychological Service (CPS) is to support others to ensure that vulnerable children and young people and those with complex needs are happy and successful in their educational setting.

Our outcomes

We aim that adults in schools and other settings meet the special educational needs (SEN) of all their pupils. This is by ensuring they have the right skills, capacity and confidence.

We aim for children, young people and the adults around them to be able to:

  • identify effective solutions in their particular situation and setting
  • put the identified solutions in place

How we work

We build on the work that has taken place as part of the graduated process for SEN within:

  • the school
  • other inclusion services

Every Dorset Local Authority school and Dorset Academy has a named Educational Psychologist (EP).

We use a consultation model which focuses on working together to:

  • agree clear outcomes and targets to address raised issues
  • plan actions to achieve our outcomes
  • review progress

Within the consultation model, we might also:

  • work with a child to clarify their needs and explore their views
  • carry out observations in a school or setting to explore what works well for a child or group of children
  • observe what might present difficulties to pupils in school and other settings
  • support staff to develop activities for groups of children within a school
  • provide support to develop systems within a school

We also support school communities to cope with sad or traumatic events.

All Dorset EPs are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). They must adhere to HCPC professional standards and requirements for Continuing Professional Development (CPD).

Training and development

We offer a range of training and development opportunities for staff working with pupils. This includes:

  • training that focuses on particular categories of need
  • training that develops professional practice such as mediation skills
  • staff development support such as specialist supervision or coaching
  • training around meeting the needs of children and young people

How do I access the service?

Parents or carers

Talk to the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) at your child's school. If your child's needs are complex, the SENCo can talk to you about the possibility of involving an EP.

Independent Schools, Local Authority Schools or Academy from another area

Contact one of our senior EPs:

Other organisations

Contact one of our Senior EPs.

Powered by GOSS iCM