Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Flooding in West Dorset and Weymouth and Portland

We work closely with the  Environment Agency to help promote and facilitate their Flood Warden Scheme.

We can help residents in emergency situations but it is the property owner's responsibility to protect themselves in the first instance.

We advise anyone who feels they are at risk of flooding to invest in some form of flood protection. You can find information on what products are available on the National Flood Forum website.


There is no statutory requirement for us to provide sandbags. Residents or business owners are responsible for protecting their own property from floodwater.

We encourage residents to make plans to protect their property in advance of flooding such as buying and storing sandbags or equivalent products, particularly if their property is in a susceptible area.

We will endeavour to help residents in emergency severe weather situations, such as if a residential property is at imminent risk of internal flooding, whereby collection of sandbags may be possible from a community sandbag store or tactical drop off location, but it is the property owner's responsibility to protect themselves in the first instance.

No deliveries of sandbags will be made to individual properties unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

Siren warnings for Chiswell residents

The siren indicates that flooding will be severe with extreme risk to people and property. You should take yourself, family and pets to a room upstairs away from the seaward side of the building. Take your flood kit with you and stay there until you are told that it is safe to come downstairs. This could be a few hours later.

Contact us

To notify us of a flood risk incident which is likely to cause internal property flooding or to enquire about your local community store, please contact us:

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, issues you have with the pages or any feedback you have.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.