Skip Navigation

Electricity, gas and water supply failure

Information about electricity, gas and water emergency services, and which organisations you should contact in a utilities emergency.

What to do if you see a burst pipe or water main

If you find a leak or burst pipe in your home, you should telephone a plumber immediately. Details of local plumbers may be found in any good phone book such as the Yellow Pages.

If you see a water leak or burst pipe in the road, on a pavement or any other place, you can call  South West Water (opens in a new window)on 0844 346 2020. UK call charges and rates (opens in a new window). This service is available 24 hours a day.

Sembcorp (opens in a new window) Bournemouth Water and Wessex Water (opens in a new window) provide water locally and should be contacted for further water supply resilience information.

Power cuts and general electrical advice

SSE (opens in a new window) provide emergency contact telephone numbers for most electricity providers on their website. They also provide good practical advice and tips on how to best help you and your family during a power cut situation and other adverse conditions.

If problems with electrical supply are continued or extensive you should contact the  National Grid (opens in a new window) for further advice and support.

Gas services

If you suspect a gas leak or unsafe gas equipment, call the National Gas Emergency Number for free on 0800 111 999.

Register as a vulnerable or high priority customer

You can contact either Wessex Water Customer Care Plus (opens in a new window) or Southern Electric vulnerable customers registration (opens in a new window) to make yourself know to them as being highly dependant on either utility. This might be because you have important medical equipment at you rely on or that you live in a house that is only heated by electricity. 

Powered by GOSS iCM