Skip Navigation

Can I claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and how do I apply?

What you're entitled to will depend on your circumstances. Find out if you're eligible and how to apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.

If any of the following apply to you, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support and other Welfare Benefits:

  • You're on a low income (employed or looking for work)
  • Your savings are not more than £16000, unless you are receiving Pension Credit Guarantee Credit or making a claim for Second Adult Rebate
  • You have dependent children
  • You're ill or disabled
  • You're caring for someone 
  • You have been bereaved
  • You're pregnant or have recently had a baby

You can check whether you may qualify to receive financial or other support by using the Entitled To (opens in a new window) calculation link.

Please note: You are not able to use the calculator on to estimate any reduction to your Council Tax through Council Tax Support. Please instead refer to our guidance on Council Tax Support.

Apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support Button  Read before you start:

If you are also applying for Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Pension Credit then please read our instructions for those making a new claim for another benefit at the same time.

If you are considering applying for Housing Benefit as a new working age claim, please read our Universal Credit page first, as you may need to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit.

Powered by GOSS iCM