Skip Navigation

Proof of identity for claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

When you make a new claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, it will be necessary for you to prove your identity.

It will be necessary for you to provide at least two items of evidence to prove who you are. We need to see original documents. We cannot accept photocopies.


Accepted proof of identity:

  • A current passport
  • Birth, marriage or adoption certificate
  • Divorce or annulment papers
  • Bank statements less than four weeks old
  • UK Residence permit
  • A driving licence
  • Housing association rent card
  • Life insurance or assurance policies
  • Letter from solicitor/social worker/ probation officer or Inland Revenue
  • Medical card or National Insurance card
  • Benefit Agency notification letter
  • Recently paid household bills in your name
  • Certificate of employment in HM Forces or Merchant Navy
  • National identity card

The list of acceptable proof of identity is not exhaustive and should you have difficulty providing any of those listed, other forms proving your identity will be considered.

If you have a partner, you will be required to prove their identity.

If you do not have any papers which prove your identity or your partner's identity, then please ask your council for help. If this is the case, it may be necessary for your local council to make enquiries in order to help you prove your identity for benefit purposes.

It will not be necessary for you to prove your identity on each occasion your benefit is reviewed, if you have previously provided that evidence.

Powered by GOSS iCM