Skip Navigation

Dorset County Council's Historic Environment team

Dorset County Council's Historic Environment team seek to promote interest, understanding and enjoyment of Dorset's historic environment and careful and sensitive development within it.

Team members participate in the development of local, regional and national policies for development and research in the historic environment. They also provide information and advice on historic environment matters to a wide range of people and organisations, and across a wide range of issues and activities. These include: 

Planning and archaeology

The Senior Archaeologist (Advice and Management) monitors planning applications and advises the local planning authorities on the possible archaeological implications of what is being proposed. We also give information and advice to prospective developers and their agents, and to local residents and communities.

If you have a development proposal we would be happy to discuss it before you submit a planning application. Please bear in mind that we can only discuss the potential archaeological impact of development proposals and your first point of contact should be the local planning authority. They may ask for a statement which assesses the likely impact of your development proposal on the historic environment; in this case information can be obtained from the Historic Environment Record.

Countryside grant schemes and monument management

The Senior Archaeologist (Promotion and Liaison) provides information and advice on agri-environment matters, particularly for Countryside Stewardship applications.  Dorset County Council's Monument Management Scheme is managed by the Senior Archaeologist (Advice and Management).

Finds identification and recording

Dorset County Council and the South West Heritage Trust share two Finds Liaison Officers (Portable Antiquities Scheme) covering Dorset and Somerset. The FLOs give advice and assist with the identification, recording and reporting of archaeological finds.

Historic buildings

As a general rule, particularly if you have a specific building in mind, the local authority Conservation Officer should be your first point of contact for advice on the need for listed building consent and/or planning permission, and the procedures involved, materials and techniques in keeping with the historic character of the building, and information on specialist craftsmen.

Powered by GOSS iCM