West Dorset, Weymouth & Portland Adopted Local Plan
West Dorset District Council and Weymouth & Portland Borough Council have prepared a joint Local Plan. The adopted Local Plan forms the main basis for making decisions on planning applications.
It was adopted by Weymouth & Portland Borough Council on 15 October 2015 and by West Dorset District Council on 22 October 2015.
The Local Plan sets out a long term planning strategy for the area and includes detailed policies and site proposals for housing, employment, leisure and infrastructure. The adopted Local Plan covers the administrative areas of Weymouth and Portland Borough and West Dorset District and forms part of the Development Plan for these areas. The Local Plan guides development in the area until 2031.
When adopted, neighbourhood plans become part of the development plan. This means they will sit alongside the Local Plan and be considered in deciding whether or not planning permission should be given.
Where to find the plan
The Local Plan written statement with details of the policies and site specific proposals, and an interactive plan map is available below:
- West Dorset, Weymouth & Portland Local Plan 2015 (pdf, 11Mb) (opens in a new window)
- Interactive Map (opens in a new window)
- West Dorset, Weymouth and Portland Local Plan Adoption Statement (pdf, 25kb) (opens in a new window)
- Policies Maps Background Document (pdf, 893kb) (opens in a new window)
Please note, the printed version of Inset Map 3 - Bradford Abbas incorrectly shows the conservation area. Please refer to the interactive map for the correct boundary.
Paper copies of the Local Plan are available to purchase from the the council offices at Dorchester. The cost is:
- Local Plan Written Statement £15 (+£2 p&p)
- Local Plan Maps Folder £40 (+£14 p&p)
Maps can also be bought individually:
- Policies map (east, west, north, south) £10 each
- Inset maps for Bridport, Chickerell, Dorchester, Lyme Regis, Portland North, Portland South, Sherborne, Sutton Poyntz, Weymouth North, Weymouth South £10 each
- All other inset maps, Diagram 1 £5 each
Copies of the documents set out above are available for inspection at the Councils' offices at South Walks House, South Walks Road, Dorchester, Dorset DT1 1UZ and Council Offices, Commercial Road, Weymouth, Dorset DT4 8NG. They can also be viewed at libraries in the Borough and District.
Sustainability Appraisal and Habitats Regulations Assessment
The Local Plan was subject to a Sustainability Appraisal which aimed to promote sustainable development by ensuring that the key environmental, social and economic issues for West Dorset, Weymouth and Portland were considered during the development of the Local Plan.
- Sustainability Appraisal (pdf, 6Mb) (opens in a new window)
- Sustainability Appraisal Non-Technical Summary (pdf, 1Mb) (opens in a new window)
- Sustainability Appraisal Post Adoption Statement (pdf, 1Mb) (opens in a new window)
A Habitat Regulations Assessment was undertaken to assess the impacts of the Local Plan on 'European sites', which are areas designated on the basis of their exceptional importance for wildlife.
Replacing the Local Plan
West Dorset District Council and Weymouth & Portland Borough Council have begun work on a review of the West Dorset, Weymouth and Portland Local Plan.
- Earlier consultations
This page contains links to databases and documents summarising the consultation that informed the adopted West Dorset, Weymouth and Portland Local Plan.
- Inspectors Report
As part of the examination in public process, an independent planning inspector assessed whether the plan had been prepared in line with the relevant legal requirements and whether it was "sound".
- Examination documents
This page contains correspondence between the Planning Inspector and West Dorset, Weymouth & Portland councils, matter statements submitted to the Local Plan Examination Hearing and other documents that were submitted during the course of the Examination Hearings.