Support for budding writers
Are you a budding writer? Would you appreciate constructive professional feedback from The Literary Consultancyon your work?
Dorset Libraries are pleased to offer you the opportunity to take part in the Arts Council England (ACE) Free Read Scheme.
Submission guidelines for ACE Free Read Scheme
The scheme offers access to The Literacy Consultancy's core services to writers who wouldn't normally be able to afford them. These are the guidelines:
- Free Reads are granted to low income, high quality writers (due to demand and available funding, a limited number of manuscripts received will be submitted)
- applicants cannot apply for a Free Read 2 years in a row
- applicants cannot work for the regional writing organisation they apply through
- we accept only writing in English
- the applicant should not be part of a creative writing programme or longer writing course
- applicants must be over 16
All submissions other than scripts should be double-spaced, in a 12pt font, and printed on one side of the A4 page. Please provide an email address for electronic feedback but if you wish to have your work returned please enclose an SAE.
Please include a synopsis with submission of the extract and include a covering letter telling us a bit about yourself and your writing history. This can include any particular questions you would particularly like addressed. For poetry, please state how many lines the submission contains, and for short stories, how many words.
You may submit any of the following:
- synopsis and up to 50 pages
- short stories: up to 3000 words
- poetry: up to 300 lines
- TV, Film, Radio and Theatre scripts
- treatments (averaging 350 words per page): up to 10 pages
- scripts (averaging 250 words per page): up to 30 pages
Please send your work to: