Information for schools and teachers
Class visits to a library
Our school programme is free and available throughout the school year. We offer several programmes, each session lasts for 60 minutes. They are:
- introduction to your library - this session aims to introduce children to the library service and to discover the range of services available through their free membership
- reading for pleasure - an opportunity to talk and learn about new books. Pupils will be encouraged to read for pleasure and discover a range of stock to suit all levels and interests
- information skills - a brief introduction to the Dewey Decimal Classification System to enable pupils to search and locate materials for study and recreation
Librarians can also visit schools to:
- provide a brief presentation on what the public library has to offer
- promote reading programmes such as the Summer Reading Challenge
Arrange a class visit
Arrange for your class to visit a library, or for a librarian to come to your school.
Picture journeys designed to show you what to expect when visiting us for the first time are available on each library's page.
Summer Reading Challenge
Find out about Mischief Makers, the 2018 Summer Reading Challenge, available at your library now.
Teacher's library card
All teachers that work in a Dorset school can now apply for a teacher's library card.
Complete the teacher's library membership form to get your teacher's library card and provide details of your school in the address section. Take the completed form to your local library with some form of proof that you work in that school, for example photo ID card, or letter from your headteacher.
This card will enable teachers to:
- borrow up to 20 items (children's fiction, non-fiction and spoken word books) for use in class
- keep books for 42 days
- no overdue charges to pay on items borrowed
- free reservations
- available from all Dorset libraries and Community Managed libraries
- books must remain in school and not be taken home by pupils
- schools will be liable for lost or damaged items