Skip Navigation

Temporary event notices

If you are holding a small event find out whether you need a temporary event notice (TEN) and how to apply.

When you need a TEN

You need a TEN if:

  • alcohol is sold at your event
  • entertainment continues after 11pm
  • food and drink are served after 11pm

Find out more about TENs including refusals and how to appeal a refusal (opens in a new window)

Find out which council to apply to

If you are unsure which council you need to apply to, enter the postcode for the location of your event:

Tell us your address

Localisation help

You can set your address here

If you don't know the postcode, find out who to contact by checking our map (opens in a new window)

Before you apply:

Please note: tacit consent applies to TENs. Tacit consent applies to some, but not all, licences. If tacit consent applies, this means that you can act as if your application has been granted if you do not receive your licence/permit within a certain time after we confirm we have received your application.

Apply for a TEN 

Christchurch and East Dorset

To apply online you will need to have a valid e-mail address. If you have not had any sort of licence or permit with the council before, you will need to register.

If you are an existing customer, then contact us and we will send you a code and details on how to activate your account so you can make applications online.

Apply/register for a TEN in Christchurch

Apply/register for a TEN in East Dorset


Apply for a TEN in Purbeck

North Dorset, West Dorset and Weymouth and Portland

If you have never had any sort of licence, permit or registration with us before you will need to register.

If you have had a licence with us before, contact us to get an activation key which will allow you to view your past applications and save you re-entering all of your details.

Apply/register for a TEN in North Dorset

Apply for a TEN in West Dorset

Apply for a TEN in Weymouth and Portland

For more help applying, see the guidance notes (pdf, 239kb) (opens in a new window)

Contact us

Contact your local licensing department

Proposed amendment to Purbeck District Council's Statement of Licensing Policy

The Council as Licensing Authority are currently consulting on a proposed amendment to its Statement of Licensing Policy with regard to Temporary Event Notices. 

Throughout the summer of 2016 both the Licensing Authority and the Council's Environmental Health Service noted an increase in the number of complaints being received in respect of events held under the authority of Temporary Event Notices. The majority of those complaints identified the frequency of events and the timings of regulated entertainment as the most sensitive areas of concern.

In response to those complaints an amendment is proposed to the Statement of Licensing Policy to highlight the Council's proposed approach to temporary events and the steps it intends to put in place to mitigate the impact of those events on the residents of the district.

The amended section 8 of the Licensing Policy and the proposed Environmental Health Protocol, both of which are attached to this email, are being considered by the Licensing Committee at its meeting on 2 March 2017 and your views on the proposals would be very much appreciated.

A consultation response form is below for your convenience and responses should be made to or to the address below by 16 February 2017.

Consultation Response form (pdf, 235kb) (opens in a new window)

Proposed amendment to Statement of Licensing Policy (pdf, 171kb) (opens in a new window)

Appendix 2 - TEN Protocol (pdf, 153kb) (opens in a new window)

Powered by GOSS iCM
Feedback Form