Skip Navigation


Information about licensing requirements for animal establishments.

  • Animal Boarding - Kennels and Catteries

    Anyone carrying on a business of providing accommodation for other people's animals is required to hold a licence under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.

  • Dangerous animals

    Find out if you need a dangerous animals licence and how to apply.

  • Dog Breeders

    Dog breeders must hold a licence issued under the Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999.

  • Pet shops

    Anyone wishing to run a pet shop needs a licence under the Pet Animals Act 1951.

  • Riding Establishments

    Any business keeping horses to let them out for hire or riding instruction must be licensed under the Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970.

  • Zoos

    Under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981, any establishment where wild animals are kept for exhibition to the public, otherwise than a circus or a pet shop, requires a licence from the local authority.

  • Animal movement licences

    Information on moving animals and the license you need.

Powered by GOSS iCM