Skip Navigation

Cooling Towers Licence

Find out when you need to apply for a cooling tower licence and how to apply.

Licence Summary

To protect against Legionnaires Disease councils keep a register of local cooling towers located within their area.

If you control a non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify the local authority of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises.

This notification must be in writing, which includes electronic means, on a form approved by the Health & Safety Executive. Any changes to the original notification need to be put in writing and submitted to the relevant council within one month of the change being made. If the device ceases to be notifiable you must notify the local authority in writing as soon as possible.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation.


Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 (opens in a new window)

Application evaluation process

There is provision in legislation to evaluate a registration request.

Will tacit consent apply?

Registration requests will normally be dealt with in 10 working days. You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

How do I apply?

You can complete the  registration form (pdf, 115kb) (opens in a new window) and return it to the appropriate local authority, or you can apply online.

How do I apply online?

Applications can be emailed to the relevant licensing authority or alternatively applications can be submitted via  GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

The GOV.UK (opens in a new window)  link can also be used to renew or make changes to your notification.

To use the online system you need to enter the postcode of the premises to be registered and then select either "How to apply", "How to Renew "or "How to change" from the menu on the left hand side of the page.

Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Public registers

Purbeck District Council - Cooling Tower Register (pdf, 99kb) (opens in a new window)

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct (opens in a new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (opens in a new window)

Powered by GOSS iCM