Skip Navigation

Street and House to House Collections in Christchurch and East Dorset

Christchurch and East logo

Find out if you need to apply for a licence to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable organisations

Do I need a licence?

If you are a charitable organisation and you wish to conduct a street or house to house collection in the Christchurch and East Dorset area, you must apply to the council for a licence.

We want to make sure that only one collection is made at one time in any area, so we will talk to you about your preferred date(s) and offer alternative dates if necessary.

When we issue your licence, we will also send you either a street collection (pdf, 363kb) (opens in a new window) or house to house (pdf, 205kb) (opens in a new window) return form which you must complete and send to us when the collection has been done. This gives us information about the amount that you collected.

Summary of regulations

The regulations relating to these licences are House to House Collections Act 1939 (opens in a new window) and Charities Act 1992 (opens in a new window)


Some charitable organisations are exempt from having to apply for a house to house collections licence, but they must still tell us the date or dates that they plan to collect on. We can then try to ensure that other collections are not authorised at the same time.

Please telephone or e-mail us using the contact details below.

How to apply

To apply for a licence in Christchurch complete either a House to House Collections application form (word, 52kb) (opens in a new window) or a Street Collections application form (pdf, 79kb) (opens in a new window) and send to the Licensing Team - contact details below.

To apply for a licence in East Dorset complete either a House to House application form (pdf, 10kb) (opens in a new window) or a  Street Collections application form (pdf, 274kb) (opens in a new window) and send to the Licensing Team - contact details below.

How can I apply online?

You can email applications direct to the licensing section or alternatively you can submit applications via using the links below.

To apply for a Street Collection licence or submit a return visit  GOV.UK (opens in a new window) , or

to apply for a House to House Collection licence or submit a return, visit  GOV.UK (opens in a new window)

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us using the details below.

What can I do if my application is refused?

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Who do I contact if I have a consumer complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct (opens in a new window) will give you advice. If you are from outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (opens in a new window)

Powered by GOSS iCM