Dorset County Council highway searches
We give the local councils information about:
- highways and rights of way for the CON29R Form (part of the property conveyancing process)
- common land & village greens for the CON29O Form
98% of our searches get back to the district or borough council within 24 hours.
We also give information about:
- road status
- highways that are maintained at public expense
- land to be acquired by Dorset County Council to carry out road works
- nearby road schemes
- nearby railway schemes
- traffic schemes
- outstanding legal notices relating to change to the highway
- compulsory purchase of land to be used as highway
To make sure the service we provide is always accurate, we also maintain the:
- highways map
- statutory List of Streets
- provisional maps of common land and village greens
We are also in charge of:
- issuing formal road adoption
- re-classification notices (e.g. changing the class of a road from A to B)
- stopping up of highway under the Highways Act 1980
Statutory registers and public documents
All registers and documents can be viewed for free in their standard format by visiting us.
To view them you will need to book an appointment and give at least 24 hours notice.
Our offices are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 12noon and 2pm to 3.30pm.
Contact the Highway Searches Team by email, in writing or in person to book an appointment.
A standard search is based on one road per search and costs £35 + VAT.
This may be higher if the search request is for a larger area. Please email us for a quote.
What we need from you
To process your search, we need:
- your search request
- a plan clearly showing the area to be searched
Paying by card
Call the finance team. Give them the property address shown on your letter or email and any reference numbers.
Paying by cheque
You can submit your payment via cheque. Cheques should be made payable to Dorset County Council and sent to the Highways Searches Team.